About the Author
Hello! Welcome to 100 Miles Highway. Thanks for stopping by.
My name is Katherina. I was born and raised in the Canary Islands, Spain, and inherited my mother’s curiosity and globe trotting spirit. My wanderlust took me to complete my studies in Valencia, Madrid and an University hub near Stuttgart, in Germany. I moved to Lausanne, Switzerland for my first job and after two years, moved on to London, UK.
Traveling is my passion. I’m a firm believer in slow travel – truly immerse in a new culture after a longer period of time, experiencing not only the honeymoon phase of expat life, but the ups and downs that lead to acclimatization.
In April 2010, I started blogging at 100 Miles Highway – right before taking a three week vacation to visit Sydney and road-trip across New Zealand. Ever since, I have sailed across the Canary Islands, hiked in Patagonia and climbed the Great Wall of China.
About 100 Miles Highway
1. The Layout
Besides traveling, I am also passionate about the outdoors, architecture and photography. I combine these elements by making them a crucial part of my travels.
This being said, it’s easier to guide you through the blog layout.
On the right side, you will find 4 Main Categories:
- Discover – Where you will find everything about traveling.
- Experience – Contains all posts that engage the senses (local foods and life changing experiences like the same I skinny-dipped in crystalline water or hiked semi-barefoot in Tenerife).
- Live – Here, you will find all posts about living abroad and life as an expat.
- Photography – All posts heavy on photography (particularly Picture This posts, Photo Essays and the newest addition: Essentially London).
Some posts may fall into more than one category. For example, if I post a Photo Essay about my weekend in Ibiza, you will find it in both, in Discover and Photography categories.
On the top of the website, you will always find the following pages:
- Home. This one takes you back to the main page, displaying the newest blog posts.
- About. Ehem, so that’s where we are at this moment.
- Around the World. This page shows each of my location specific blog posts on a World map. All you need to do is zoom in the area of interest and click on one of the markers to access the post of interest.
- Gallery. I use this space to share some of my favorite photo collections.
- Archives. A dirty way to dig into my past.
- Featured. More of me on the interwebs.
Too much information and not sure where to start? I’d recommend my Badass Moments of 2012!
All pictures on this blog are copyright of 100 Miles Highway and taken by me, Katherina (unless otherwise noted). I use my Fujifilm FinePix S9600 and Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W290 most of the time, and occasionally post scanned pictures of my Lomo Diana F+. Please ask for permission before using and/or distributing these photos and always provide a link and citation back to the image.
This blog is my hobby, not my business. I do not make a living out of it. I am slowly working myself into affiliate programs that I believe in and trust, but aside from this, this blog is ad-free.
However, I’m happy to review relevant product samples, restaurants and accommodation by invitation but I will make my own mind up on whether to recommend them or not. I will always let my readers know if I got a free sample, meal or stay at the end of the post. Being this a non-commercial site, my integrity comes first.