2012: The Year of First Times

Isla Magdalena, Chile

My first time seeing penguins running (or, well, waddling) free

I ended 2011 BIG.I travelled around Cape Horn, tried to cuddle thousands of cute penguins and spent a sunny afternoon drinking Pisco Sour with glacier ice. This was all before burning my skin off in Buenos Aires on the 1st of January (a tiny little part of me really believed I was sort of brazilian).

When I returned to London, I told myself that 2012 was going to be the year of first times. I joined a cooking course, learned how to ski, started running regularly and spent a week living on a sailing boat.

Valle Gran Rey, La Gomera

My first time sailing without just lying in the sun and allowing others to do the work

But the year is far from over, and there are many first times yet to come!

Doing business in Egypt – May 2012

I’m excited about my first trip to Egypt – Not only will I (hopefully) have the chance to take a glance out of the windows to enjoy the view of the desert, the Nile and maybe even a temple, but I will learn and understand the way of doing business. I’ve been learning about what is considered rude or well mannered. What topics are taboo and which ones are cheerfully discussed among men and women.

Attending A Friend’s Wedding – May 2012

Sure I had been at weddings before. Weddings of members in my family, or in the family of a partner. Even weddings of family friends. But up to this year, I’ve never had the chance to attend to a friend’s wedding. When one of my dearest friends from Uni told me on a late October night that she was getting married to the love of her life I cried for joy. I’m really looking forward for a great Uni reunion in Madrid this weekend!

Visiting Stockholm – June 2012

During my sailing course in the Canary Islands, I met two great girls who kindly invited me to visit Stockholm this summer. They clearly didn’t know what they were getting into – As soon as I got hold of an internet connection, I browsed a few different flight options and quickly booked four days in Sweden with two other friends joining from UK and Portugal respectively. Island hopping and swedish fashion shopping, anyone?

Ladies Day at Royal Ascot – June 2012

After last years success at Royal Ascot, I was sure I was going to repeat the experience – what I didn’t know was that I was going to do it the right way: Grandstand tickets, picnic and champagne on the grass and surrounded by stylish people wearing the most creative hats and fascinators of the year. Now that’s what I’d call doing it with style.

And then…

Well, I’m not a big planner and usually end up taking my decisions on the very last minute – which is why I haven’t booked any holidays after June or can’t really tell what I’m up to in September. That seems to be years away! However, I am eyeing a few further first times for the next few months:

• Take part of one of London’s Race For Life races to fight against cancer
  • Join a park fitness class – you know, if english weather ever allows this to happen
  • Attend this year’s TBEX in Girona (yes, it’s about time!)

Skiing in Les Houches, France

My first time skiing (France) – yes, I even managed to take pictures, I’m a natural talent

What have you done (or will do) for the first time in the last/next few months?

Tags: , ,

16 Responses to “2012: The Year of First Times”

1. JackieMay 15, 2012 at 2:35 AM #

The year isn’t even halfway over yet and already you’ve rocked it. You are impressive, madam. So far I’ve been to two new countries this year (and Gibraltar!), and I will be heading off to Mexico for a yoga retreat in the fall, which I’ve never done before. Please report back on the shopping in Sweden so that I may live vicariously!

• KatherinaMay 16, 2012 at 11:44 PM #

Oh WOW… I love the idea of a yoga retreat in Mexico! I’ll report on the shopping in Sweden… but do please report on the yoga retreat in paradise!

2. MeriMay 15, 2012 at 3:51 AM #

Oh god I would collapse in bliss if I got that up close and personal with those penguins!

• KatherinaMay 16, 2012 at 11:20 AM #

They were sooo cute, I should have taken one with me!

3. EurotripTipsMay 15, 2012 at 11:53 AM #

Ohhh please please please come to TBU instead! Not sure where it’s going to be yet but in Europe for sure. I would love to meet you there :-)

And I’ll definitely be following your Sweden posts, as I am headed there myself in October :-)

• KatherinaMay 16, 2012 at 11:25 AM #

I’m never properly aware of these things – I thought there was only one TBU meet-up per year. Please let me know as soon as you have more details of the second one… would LOVE to go, really!

4. ZhuMay 16, 2012 at 3:10 AM #

I’m too superstitious to plan ahead but so far, life has been surprising and exciting so I can’t complain. You have a lot to look forward to! Egypt should be fun and interesting, it’s a country I’m curious about–do report on it!

• KatherinaMay 16, 2012 at 12:11 PM #

My trip to Egypt has been recently postponed due to the turmoil (we’re getting close to election day!). But I’m really looking forward to this trip – even though it’s going to be short, I’m sure there will be a lot to report.

5. ArianaMay 16, 2012 at 11:09 AM #

Sounds like a really awesome year so far! In 2012, I have started ceramics classes, and am really loving working with the wheel and making a lot of cool stoneware vases. I am also officially starting to study French, after a fun trip across the English Channel, realizing that I can visit these neighbors often!

• KatherinaMay 16, 2012 at 11:52 PM #

Oh I love the idea of ceramics classes… always thought of it being very relaxing. Plus, you get to create so many cool stuff that makes for really personalized presents!

6. LML // JustineMay 17, 2012 at 12:55 AM #

Hey Katherina we’re on the same page- I’ve been eating my way around the world- like a full 360 will be completed this year. Looking forward to rocking out in 2012 together! Keep in touch! x

7. JaniceMay 18, 2012 at 11:35 PM #

Impressive start to the year!
    I’ve been doing some traveling but mostly for reconnecting with friends. In the beginning of 2012, I told myself that this year was going to be about making an effort to stay in touch with friends overseas. Sure, I could “like” their Facebook statuses and write the occasional email, but it’s not the same as taking the time to plan a trip. I only get so many vacation days out of the year, so I think it’s a nice gesture to take a day off for my special friends :)
    So with that said, my “first” this year was traveling to Colorado to visit a good friend of mine. Got some great nature shots!

8. Colleen SetchellMay 21, 2012 at 5:57 PM #

Love this post!!! Whenever you have great plans like this, life sounds just so damn exciting and its all about just grabbing whatever comes your way and living life to the fullest!!!
    My first times this year have been: I’ve visit Canada and been up the CN tower, I’ve stood amongst a group of patriotic Americans and sung the national anthem (very moving), I’ve swum in a Connecticut river with my clothes on, I’ve visited Ireland, I’ve visited the Loire Valley in France and its beautiful castles, I’ve lived in a remote part of Scotland for just over 2 weeks. Some firsts that I’ve got planned: Visit friends in Virginia, Indiana and Illinois and visit as many US cities around there as I can, visit Iceland on my way back to UK, do a trucking holiday (I have a friend who is a truck driver and he has kindly offered me a place), visit Thailand and learn to teach English and that is just up until September. Like you, after that just seems years away. Life is good right now :-)
    Happy travels and happy ‘firsts”.

1. New Me and New Blog | 100 Miles Highway - July 18, 2012

[...] while back I proclaimed 2012 the year of first times, but it’s much more than that – it’s the year to stop listening to the chatter in [...]

2. My Badass Moments of 2012 | 100 Miles Highway - December 23, 2012

[...] I learned how to ski. Sort of. Ok, on green and light blue pistes. But that is about to improve in the next few days I’m spending in Chamonix! [...]

3. Waddling Penguins in Isla Magdalena, Chile | 100 Miles Highway - August 22, 2013

[…] a few videos. I never really had figured out how to use iMovie to create a clip before, but hey, I proclaimed 2012 the year of first times, so why not add creating videos to the list […]