Photo Essay: My Favorite Part Of Town

It’s easy to fall for the city of London. It’s exciting, vibrant and cosmopolitan. City life can be difficult some times , but after a while, you learn to get along and enjoy the advantages of living in a big city – you’ll have infinite opportunities to meet new people and there will always be a place you haven’t discovered yet.

Even though it was quite a shock for me at first, I think I’m slowly learning to handle this City life – As long as I get my regular dose of green, I can carry on.

Hampstead Heath, London

Parks help me detox from the impurities and annoyances of London.

A few weeks ago – when spring seemed to be knocking at our door – I went on a quest of unexplored parks. I had heard from a beautiful area in North London, which was resting on a hill from which one could admire the city’s highlights from a comfortable deck chair surrounded by the greenest grass, numerous ponds and gorgeous villas.

That’s Hampstead Heath.

Hampstead Heath, London

But it was only on my second visit this weekend that I realized the additional charm of the area. The park – which has around 320 hectares of hills, meadows, woodland and ponds – is part of my happy life equation, together with the beautiful architecture and the peacefulness of it’s streets. As I walked passed some of London’s most remarkable pubs, I noticed that those inside (and those casually walking by outside), knew each other. For a short time, my mind drifted back to my life in the Canary Islands – where people and places were familiar to me.

Hampstead Heath, London

I like the feeling of familiarity and village life I get when I walk around Hampstead. This is something I’ve been missing recently. I might as well have to move into one of these houses next!

Hampstead Heath, London

What about you? Would you rather be in the heart of a capital’s life or move somewhere green and peaceful?

Tags: , , , , , ,

7 Responses to “Photo Essay: My Favorite Part Of Town”

1. MeriApril 23, 2012 at 3:52 AM #

I am a city girl for life but need to live close to parks/ water/ nature or I go nuts. Luckily, in my city there is regulated “green space” zoned within a certain amount of space from any point, its great!

• KatherinaApril 26, 2012 at 12:11 AM #

That´s great! I think all these green areas in London really make the city much more livable… I can’t imagine it just bare, without trees – I think I would become claustrophobic!

2. ZhuApril 23, 2012 at 4:24 AM #

Lovely set! I’m definitely a city person but I appreciate cities that mix residential, business districts with parks. For that, most Canadian cities are perfect!

• KatherinaApril 26, 2012 at 12:13 AM #

Yes, I heard Canadian cities have plenty of green spaces too – which really wants me go and visit by the way. I’ve got Canada on my oh so long list… but it’s on the top of it :)

3. EurotripTipsApril 23, 2012 at 1:10 PM #

I think it’s easy to get both with London – you can be in the heart of the city, and yet very close to a huge green park. I really love Hampstead Heath, but next time I’m in town, I really want to visit Richmond.

• KatherinaApril 26, 2012 at 12:14 AM #

You know, I’ve tried going to Richmond park at least 4 times since I’m here… and each of them – as soon as I reach the tube, it starts raining (no joke!). So… yes, Richmond. Hopefully this summer. If we get one of those over here…

4. KristinaMay 17, 2012 at 5:25 AM #

I really enjoy living in a big city such as Melbourne, but I have to admit that I do miss nature. Good thing is that Melbourne has many many parks and that the nature is never far away in Australia! Try to get out of the city each weekend… Love the shots from London, looks like a wonderful area and a lovely park!