My 7 Super Shots

A few days ago, my fellow blogger Becoming Sevillana tagged me to participate in Hostel Bookers 7 Super Shot meme. It’s not an easy task to narrow just 7 over my favorite photos (specially when a good part of them were lost when my hard drive decided to quit last summer). Thankfully, I have my blog. And many digital cards. Oh, and an external memory that I now use more often than ever before!

A Photo That Takes My Breath Away

Aletsch Glacier, Switzerland

Hiking around Aletsch Region, Switzerland

Last year, as soon as my relocation had been confirmed, I started to freak out. Two years in Switzerland had gone by so quickly, and I had still so much to experience and had so many places I wanted to go. For this, during the last 5 months in the country, I planned myself to do something different almost every weekend. On a hot summer day, we chose to go hiking in the Bernese Alps and came across this perfect view over the Aletsch Glacier. Each time I remember my time in Switzerland, this image is one of the first ones to pop up.

A Photo That Makes Me Laugh Or Smile

Isla Magdalena, Chile

Isla Magdalena, Chile

I’ll admit it – Isla Magdalena was one of my favorite stops during our Patagonia tour this winter. I couldn’t stop smiling, and even managed to use up my camera’s battery in just one hour! But then – if you were surrounded by 120,000 cuties, wouldn’t you too?

A Photo That Makes Me Deam

Phuket, Thailand

Sunset in Phuket, Thailand

This picture had been my laptop’s desktop picture for a very long time. There’s something about the colors of the sky, which I find very unusual for a sunset; the way the sky is perfectly mirrored in the flat water and how the many rocks harmoniously break the reflection.

I couldn’t leave back to the hotel yet – I felt I had to wait for what came next. A very short time after, I was looking at the most intense sunset I had ever seen.

A Photo That Makes Me Think

Buenos Aires, Argentina

La Boca, Buenos Aires (argentina)

I took this picture with my Lomo (which reminds me, I should really use it more often!). I was walking with a friend around La Boca on a Saturday afternoon, unaware of what was about to hit us. Each time I look at this photo, I remember the clash between trashy tourists paying for getting a picture with a fake Maradona and, just a few streets on, a group of local teenagers playing football. I remember stopping at this point and thinking so this is the real La Boca.

A Photo That Makes My Mouth Water

London, England

South Coast scallops with garlic butter and breadcrumbs with a glass of AlbariƱo, at FishWorks, London

This one was a difficult choice – I really battled between spanish tapas, a delicious desert and this. But to be frank, seafood feeds my soul. Having been raised in a fishermen town in the Canary Islands, when asked to choose, I will always choose seafood over meat restaurants (except when the location is particularly known for its meat). In fact, the simpler the dish itself – the better. And that’s exactly what I loved about FishWorks in London. No strong sauces or overcompensation of side dishes – just plain good fish and seafood.

A Photo That Tells A Story

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Amsterdam with the girls

3 Girls. The night before handing in our final thesis in Germany. A crazy thought.

After finishing our exam, we packed our things and left on a 6 hour (which turned out to be rather 8-9 hour) drive to Amsterdam. We arrived on a friday at 3am to our hotel, and had to wait until the next morning to see the city. Full of excitement, we woke up early, walked along the canals into the center and chose this beautiful little bar to properly start one of the most surreal weekends of the year.

A Photo That I’m Most Proud Of (A National Geographic Shot)

Torres del Paine, Chile

Guanaco in Torres del Paine National Park, Chile

I took this picture in Torres del Paine, Chile – so far, my favorite destination to disconnect from the World. No phone reception, very limited internet access and a national park full of surprises. Guanacos were one of them. When I saw this proud animal standing on the top, staring towards the mountains and the clouds filled with rain in the background – I knew I had to be very careful to take the picture without distracting it. It may not be a National Geographic shot, but for sure it is, so far, the photo I am most proud of.

I hope you enjoyed the photos as much as I enjoyed selecting them. I’m now supposed to nominate 5 other bloggers to participate – not an easy task given that so many of you have already taken part of this!

Correr Es Mi Camino
Just Travelous
The Travel Hack
The Great Affair
Le Fabuleux Destine De

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to “My 7 Super Shots”

1. VaishApril 1, 2012 at 3:14 PM #

What a collection!

2. Siddhartha JoshiApril 2, 2012 at 1:16 AM #

These are all very nice, but my fav are the first and the fourth one…

• KatherinaApril 4, 2012 at 9:40 AM #

They’re both so different… And still have a big common point – they bring back great memories!

3. Audrey | That BackpackerApril 2, 2012 at 1:25 AM #

These are amazing! I really like the one of La Boca, it really is a contrast to what you see a few streets down on Caminito. :)

• KatherinaApril 4, 2012 at 9:42 AM #

Thanks Audrey – That’s exactly what I thought when I took he picture!

4. MeriApril 2, 2012 at 5:23 AM #

Wow- what a fun link to participate in- my favorites (I could only narrow to three) are Argentina, Netherlands, and Chile. If I had to pick though, it would be the Buenos Aires one. You are a very talented photographer and I love how these days even if something goes wrong with your computer or hard drive there is still so many backups due to blogging, facebook, snapfish, etc.

• KatherinaApril 4, 2012 at 9:44 AM #

Oh yes! I was pretty lucky that I at least saved many of my pictures in differrnt forms… Though I did realize that I lost my Brazil pics – this teaches me to back up more regularly.

5. EurotripTipsApril 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM #

Aww, I love the penguin shot! But I also like the story behind your Amsterdam photo – photography doesn’t have to picture outstanding landscapes or have exceptional technique to be amazing, and you proved just that! :-)

• KatherinaApril 5, 2012 at 1:11 AM #

Thanks so much, and I agree – usually the best pictures are those that have a good story behind!

6. JaniceApril 4, 2012 at 6:56 AM #

You are such an amazing photographer. I really enjoy looking at your collection and feel inspired to keep going with my photography too. I also find your background interesting. I’m also a German-Japanese “mutt” living in LA and I mostly blog about being a Third Culture Kid in the US.
    Looking forward to your next posts!

• KatherinaApril 5, 2012 at 1:14 AM #

Hi Janice, thanks for the compliment, you’re too kind! There was a lot of try and fail involved as always… I really hope to learn some more technique before summer – I’m still don’t really trust myself out of auto :)

7. Office RemovalsApril 5, 2012 at 8:59 AM #

These seven shots you have made are actually worth seeing, I must admit that they are artistic and you definitely have an eye for the beauty! Very well done! I just envy you a little for the places you have been!

8. RentiniApril 10, 2012 at 10:41 PM #

These are great! We would love to see this kind of stuff in our current photo contest!

9. MattApril 17, 2012 at 2:03 PM #

Fantastic shots. I actually think “the Guardian” is National Geographic worthy. Well done!

10. Megan JonesApril 23, 2012 at 6:11 PM #

These are great photos! You should be very proud. I love the exposure in the La Boca shot. The way the chain link disappears in the middle but is stark around the edges is very interesting. My other favorite is the Amsterdam shot. I can really relate to the expression on the women’s faces. I remember celebrating after turning in my thesis! What a thrill!

1. Friendships and Distance | 100 Miles Highway - December 27, 2013

[…] drink, not having brunch together on a sunday going over all the weekend happenings, not improvising a weekend escape. But when it comes to real friendships – those with whom you follow through a regular […]