Photo Essay: Swimming in Crystalline Azure Water

Crystalline Water in Formentera

I had promised more pictures and stories about my week in the tiny island on Formentera as soon as I got back to normal, and now that I‘ve recovered my computer and said goodbye to Switzerland – I thought it’s about time. Plus, I love to go through fun summer memories when it’s raining and windy outside.

Formentera’s sands and crystalline azure water are world-famousdon’t believe me? check out where Giorgio Armani or Shakira spent this summer! – which also means that most of its easy accessible beaches are really crowded. That’s when one becomes creative to find a peaceful spot to lay down and soak up some mediterranean sun. And then it hit us – we had to rent a boat and discover all those hidden gems that have no land access.

All good, but what do you do without any kind of maritime license (and ok, lets admit it, without cash to spend on renting a 10 meter sail boat to explore the island’s coastline)?

Rent a Zodiac instead!

Me on our Zodiac, Formentera

If you ever thought that a zodiac would only be good enough to take you from your yacht to the beach and back, then you’re wrong. You should never underestimate the power of a zodiac – this smaller version of a speed boat took us all the way from the port of Formentera to the south of the island and back up all the way north to S’Espalmador.

About 20 minutes after leaving the port towards the south of the Island, we found a peaceful spot with crystalline blue water. We dropped the anchor and looked around us. Not more than 3 other boats were surrounding us, and there was enough distance between us to almost feel like we had the spot for ourselves.

The color of the sea was so appealing that it didn’t take us more than 3 minutes to jump into the water (part of those 3 minutes, we were trying to figure how to best jump from an inflatable boat without looking too ridiculous – what we didn’t realize was the actual ridiculous part would be trying to get back into the zodiac again). This was the first time I made use of my marine camera kit.

Crystalline Water in Formentera

Underwater in Formentera, Spain

Swimming in Crystalline Water, Formentera

Underwater in Formentera, Spain

Yeah, I still need some practice – another reason to go on beach holidays again some time soon!

Tags: , , , , ,

19 Responses to “Photo Essay: Swimming in Crystalline Azure Water”

1. TexaGermaNadianSeptember 12, 2011 at 9:51 AM #

This is absolutely gorgeous! I love the Med’s blue water. So different from the Caribbean. Lucky you, and so fun on a Zodiac!

• KatherinaSeptember 14, 2011 at 11:33 PM #

The Caribbean has really nice water too…. well, at least somewhat warmer than the Mediterranean!

2. TonyaSeptember 12, 2011 at 4:33 PM #

Great idea! I could totally see my husband and I doing something like that :) The water looks aaaammmzzzzaaaing!!
    Tonya recently posted..Streetlife Festival Munich, Ex & Hop Contest

• KatherinaSeptember 14, 2011 at 11:34 PM #

We came across a few couples on zodiacs, too – while the husband is handling the inflatable boat, you can just lie there are tan. It’s perfect!

3. Andi of My Beautiful AdventuresSeptember 12, 2011 at 6:05 PM #

WOW! Look at that water!!! I just want to look at these pics all day. Love your striped top!
    Andi of My Beautiful Adventures recently posted..My Wedding & Honeymoon: Day 6-10 (Part 4)

• KatherinaSeptember 14, 2011 at 11:35 PM #

Thanks Andi!! It was almost too hot to wear a top actually, but I I had to cover myself a bit – 6 hours in the sun without more than 20 SPF sunscreen would have had pretty bad results! ;)

4. ZhuSeptember 12, 2011 at 6:40 PM #

There are no good ways to elegantly get on/get off a boat :lol: In Thailand, we took the boat a lot and I soon became a specialist of crash-landing in the sand (and getting soaked) because I would misjudge the depth of the water. Plus, hold a camera high above head isn’t great for balance.

I love your underwater/ in water shots! How did you do that?

• KatherinaSeptember 14, 2011 at 11:40 PM #

haha, you’re right – there’s just no elegant way to do it! I took the pictures with my sony cybershot digital camera, using an underwater case for that specific model. It actually works quite well and is easy to use, I highly recommend it! Fyi, the marine pack I have is only for sony… but there are some that can be used with lots of different cameras too!

5. ChristineSeptember 13, 2011 at 12:58 AM #

So gorgeous! I can’t wait for it to be swimming weather in Australia!
    Christine recently posted..Let us remember

• KatherinaSeptember 14, 2011 at 11:43 PM #

.. and I can’t wait to see your pictures! I love Australia’s off the track beaches, where there’s only you and maybe someone else….

6. Debbie @ European TravelistaSeptember 13, 2011 at 5:06 AM #

OMG that water is a beautiful color and so inviting! How is the temperature? Thanks for the heads up on renting a boat to find the less crowded beaches. Great idea!

• KatherinaSeptember 14, 2011 at 11:48 PM #

The temperature was not like the caribbean… but, for me, it was perfect that way. It was really hot outside, and anyway, coming from the Atlantic Ocean, the Med feels like a heated pool :)

7. Siddhartha JoshiSeptember 13, 2011 at 7:12 AM #

Wow…these are absolutely stunning pictures, especially underwater ones! What Marine camera kit do you use? I too would love to click underwater…
    Siddhartha Joshi recently posted..The women of Tarnetar

• KatherinaSeptember 14, 2011 at 11:52 PM #

Hi! Thanks for following :) For the underwater pictures, I used Sony’s marine pack, called Sony MPK-WE (they’ve made different ones for different camera models). It’s not a cheap investment, but it’s very much worth all the fun you have with it!

8. JulieSeptember 14, 2011 at 6:08 AM #

That is some amazing water. Looks like a wonderful way to spend the day!

9. eileen ludwigSeptember 15, 2011 at 4:36 PM #

Love the blue waters and the camera shots to give more of a flavor of the blue water
    eileen ludwig recently posted..Media Release: Orange County Resident One of 150 NASA Tweetup GRAIL twin lunar Delta II rocket launch

10. KristinaOctober 12, 2011 at 2:04 PM #

wow, amzing blue water! just like in croatia!! and I love your underwater pictures, it is quite hard to get a good shot, right??
    Kristina recently posted..{ goodbye roadtrip } rome I

11. AudreyOctober 16, 2011 at 12:20 AM #

I love the underwater shots! I can see why Armani and Shakira like to vacation there, the water is spectacular! :D
    Audrey recently posted..Montreal, Je t’aime