Photo Essay: The Terraces of Lavaux

Now that summer has officially arrived, I can no longer hold myself back from telling you about one of my favorite places in the World (and no, I do not mean that my number one swiss cheese shop in Switzerland) – The Vineyards of Lavaux.

Thinking of Switzerland as a wine producer might seem odd to you, but the fact is, Switzerland is one of the World’s top wine consumers (and I’m a proud contributor to these statistics). Living less than a 10 minutes train ride from this picturesque terraces, it’s no wonder that walking across its vineyards has become one of my favorite activities for a sunny sunday afternoon. And while I move along small paths between the family-owned vineyards, I dream about living in one of those beautiful mansions…

Someday I will.

The 2 and a half hours walk starts in Grandvaux, a small village of around 2,000 habitants at about 500m height above sea level. Directions are always easily recognizable – one only has to follow the yellow arrows (or, alternatively, a green sign that reads Terrasses de Lavaux).

Although most of the walk is through vineyards, you get the chance to walk through the tiny villages in the region – such as Riex, Epesses or Rivaz. All of them are loaded with cozy wine cellars offering a different local wine each week or month.

I made a quick stop in Riex to do some wine tasting. What would be a sunday without wine anyway?

I even spotted some premature grapes on the way! Harvesting will take place in September (I can’t believe I’ll miss it!).

Each village is special and unique. Each of them have their own wine production, which proudly differentiates them from their neighbors. Not to visit at least of of the many wine cellars that lie on the way would be a crime (or a lot of self-control).

Isn’t this the most beautiful place you’ve ever seen?

Practical Information

Route: From Grandvaux to St. Saphorin (Canton Vaud, Switzerland)
Elevation gain uphill: none, really – it only goes downhill
Elevation gain downhill: 180m
Length: approx. 10 km
Duration: 3.5 hrs (including a stop for a glass of white wine!)
Difficulty: Super Easy
Map: The closest I could find was this route From La Conversion to Vevey (I took a shorter walk in between these two points).

Tags: , , , , ,

19 Responses to “Photo Essay: The Terraces of Lavaux”

1. MeriJuly 5, 2011 at 5:47 AM #

What an incredible view from the top! It sure beats the vineyards around here :) I ‘d love to go there- good luck with your mansion!
    Meri recently posted..Tailgater Hater

• KatherinaJuly 5, 2011 at 7:52 PM #

I’m starting to save already for one of those mansions…. ;)

2. JennaJuly 5, 2011 at 8:49 AM #

These pics are so gorgeous – and they make me want to visit Switzerland SO bad! I may be going to Lausanne for a couple of weeks in October, how far is this from there??

xoxo
    Jenna
    Jenna recently posted..4th of July From Afar…

• KatherinaJuly 5, 2011 at 7:53 PM #

No way! You’re coming to Lausanne? That’s where I live – so, in fact, it’s a simple 10 minutes train ride away…!!

3. Eurotrip TipsJuly 5, 2011 at 9:46 AM #

Ohhh beautiful! I’m heading there at the end of the summer, and your pictures only made my trip more exciting! :)
    Eurotrip Tips recently posted..Monday’s Postcard: Liverpool, England

• KatherinaJuly 5, 2011 at 7:54 PM #

You’re coming here for the end of the summer as well? How exciting! For how long?

4. KarenJuly 5, 2011 at 10:51 AM #

What stunning photographs! I can’t wait until you move to London so you can apply your beautiful photography to this city! :)
    Karen recently posted..Shout out to Manchester

• KatherinaJuly 5, 2011 at 7:55 PM #

Thanks so much! But the weather really played an important role on this one… I hope London will treat me well and not only give me rain!

5. IngridJuly 5, 2011 at 12:24 PM #

I have lived in Switzerland for many years and that spot is one of my favourite……and there are many beutiful places in this tiny country. Even driving past it on the “Autobahn” it looks spectacular. My tip: Auberge du Raisin in Cully on the lake side. ;) http://www.aubergeduraisin.ch/
    Greetings from Lugano
    Ingrid recently posted..Holidays without internet – Switzerland tourism

• KatherinaJuly 5, 2011 at 7:56 PM #

I’ve walked next to that hotel! Isn’t Cully beautiful? (specially during the jazz festival!)

6. Debbie Beardsley @ European TravelistaJuly 5, 2011 at 6:14 PM #

These are beautiful pictures and are very enticing! I have been to this wine area but have not taken the walk you describe. One of these days I’ll go back and enjoy this walk and wine.
    Debbie Beardsley @ European Travelista recently posted..Independence Day Celebrations across Europe

• KatherinaJuly 5, 2011 at 8:00 PM #

Up to now, I had never managed to get myself to do that walk – saturdays are for shopping, sundays I’m just lazy. But I’ve taken twice the Lavaux Express! A cute train that takes you on a 2 hour trip, stopping at a different caveau of the region each week – I loved it! But frankly, walking it just feels great and offers you the flexibility to stop wherever you feel like stopping to take pictures (and eventually recover your breath). I really recommend it!

7. AndreaJuly 6, 2011 at 12:53 PM #

You’re so lucky to live somewhere so beautiful. I’d love to explore that region.
    Andrea recently posted..Travel Photo: Zaragoza

8. ZhuJuly 6, 2011 at 3:55 PM #

What a beautiful place indeed! Wineries are usually nice in the first place, add the lake and you get a very picturesque place. No wonder you like it so much!

I’m not surprised that they are big wine drinker… I mean, stuck between Italy and France, what else would you do? ;-)

9. kristinaJuly 11, 2011 at 9:02 PM #

oh yes, it is really such a beautiful place!! I enjoyed the hike so much, even though it was boiling hot :)
    Great shots! :)

10. AlbertoJuly 28, 2011 at 3:54 PM #

Enhorabuena por tu blog, por el diseño y sobretodo por los artículos y fotografías!
    Soy un español de Erasmus en Lausanne, enamorado de este increíble país.

Espero le eches un vistazo a mi blog (erasmusensuiza.blogspot.com) en el que intento dar mi opinión sobre el país de Heidi y del reloj, sin querer caer en el cliché.

Un saludo :)
    Alberto
    Alberto recently posted..Recorrido por siete ciudades suizas

1. Just How Expensive Is Stockholm? - June 27, 2012

[...] of the prices I encountered on a regular basis – like train tickets, a bottle of Evian and a glass of swiss wine (all of these, unquestionably expensive according to any visitor’s view that didn’t [...]

2. The Unexpected Switzerland | 100 Miles Highway - December 27, 2013

[…] back of their house, specially in Canton Vaud. Switzerland may have several wine growing areas, but my favorite one is Lavaux, which aside from producing high quality white wine offers one of the greatest views over Lac […]

3. Am I a cat or a dog | 100 Miles Highway - December 27, 2013

[…] me. I’ve learned that mountains make me smile even more than beaches do. I’ve become to appreciate wine over beer (and even over a glass of Hendrix tonic with two slices of cucumber) and have developed a love for […]