Have you ever been backpacking?
10 signs you might be a Flashpacker, too
- You usually choose the quicker travel option rather than the cheaper one – Who wants a 12 hours bus ride if you can jump in a plane and arrive in less than 2 hours?
- Although you fancy the hostel atmosphere, you seriously value (unnecessary) extras such as stable beds, an en suite bathroom, a balcony and/or a nice view, great location… and don’t mind paying a bit more for that.
- You would have a heart attack if the hostel’s wifi wasn’t working (or if you realized the hostel actually hasn’t got any wifi at all!) – how are you supposed to upload the 300 pictures? how are you supposed to post about the helicopter ride? and how are you supposed to find your next activity?
- Your backpack is full of electronic devices – your SLR camera, iPad / Laptop, iPod, Blackberry / iPhone and corresponding cables and chargers.
- Oh, and, not to forget about the hair dryer and or straightener. Guys: the electric shaver counts for this!
- The first thing you think about when you leave your stuff in the room is “so, where shall we have a nice breakfast / lunch / dinner?” – You want to check out the local cuisine!
- For those days you cook in the hostel, you won’t heat up a frozen pizza – you’ll buy fresh vegetables, meat and prepare burritos!
- You choose not to get wasted every night cause a) your hangovers are getting worse with time and b) you don’t want to miss the local farmers market
- Sure, you know you’re “backpacking”, but who said that you wouldn’t need a fancy dress and cute sandals at some point of your journey?
- There’s always enough space for some shopping – you brought an additional foldable bag with you so that, in your way back you can carry the double.
It took me some time to accept it, but… I’m a Flashpacker.